Taking the ordinary PB&J sandwich to the next level. This sandwich is made with vegan french toast, stuffed with caramelized bananas, raspberries, granola, peanut butter and strawberry jam. Make it for a special breakfast or have breakfast for dinner. Either way, it makes for a delicious and satisfying meal!
French Toast PB & J Sandwich [Vegan]
- 4 slices bread of choice
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk (this recipe used almond milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon shredded coconut, unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon soft vegan butter
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 tablespoon soft vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
For the Sandwich:
- Peanut Butter
- Jam of choice
Make the French Toast:
- Heat the vegan butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, coconut and vanilla. Dip the bread until evenly coated and place on the heated skillet in a single layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly golden.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramelized bananas: Heat the vegan butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Layer the sliced bananas and sprinkle with orange juice.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side until caramelized and softened.
- Set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich:
- Spread your desired amount of peanut butter and jam and two of the french toast slices.
- Top with caramelized bananas, raspberries and granola.
- Close the sandwich and enjoy immediately.
If you want to skip a step, simply use fresh bananas instead of caramelized bananas.
Try it with juice from a fresh orange rather than bottled orange juice.
This recipe used salted organic peanut butter, but natural peanut butter will work too.
This sandwich is better eaten with a fork, like French toasts.