Whoa mama! Chocolate and mint pair up to create an amazing flavor sensation in these gluten-free, oil-free, low sugar cupcakes. Avocado is the perfect candidate for the smooth and creamy mint icing that goes on top and the bright green color will be enough for your kids/dinner guests to be intrigued.
Chocolate Cupcakes With Avocado-Mint Icing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup banana puree
- 1/2 cup avocado puree
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp water
For the Icing
- 1/4 cup avocado puree
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 sprigs of mint leaves chopped
- mint extract, optional (if mint isn’t minty enough)
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp water to blend
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt) in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Add the dry ingredient mix into the rest of the ingredients in the larger bowl.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake cups, spoon batter in to cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For icing: combine all listed ingredients in a food processor or you can use an immersion blender.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before icing them, ice just before serving as the avocado will start to turn brown